Saturday 16 December 2006

Matrioshkas

Yes, I know... It's not a polemic subject, but the story behind this picture is somewhat interesting.
After much planing and preparations, we decided to have a go at the Lincoln Christmas market, so said to be "the biggest in Europe". The thing was a major disappointment, too commercial and absolutely packed with people... The only possible thing to do after fighting our way to a booth selling mulled wine, was to follow the crowd through the market until we reached the exit.

It would be unfair to say all the stalls were uninteresting, specially one with a beautiful lineup of Matrioshkas. Been a folk art lover myself, I couldn't resist taking some pictures with my mobile phone; maybe I could make it look similar to some of those graphics design showcase books I've flickered through so many times.
So there was I, happy snapping at the beautiful nesting dolls when a thick accented voice spoke: "One or two pictures is fine, but you can't take more...", I looked up to face this not so happy Slavic looking stall holder, to whom I replied: "But I bet if I buy one you wouldn't be so concerned...", to which he replied with a muttered: "err... but you can't just take pictures...". I then politely smiled, apologised for my crime and carried on walking.

The point is, if it wasn't by the sheer display of greediness and KGB style paranoia,
I would have probably bought one... Maybe he was worried I would post the pictures on a website and not pay him the royalties. (Take that tovarishch!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment